Arts Awards Category Descriptions
Lifetime Achievement in the Arts: a person or organization who has made a significant impact on the arts community and has a long accomplished career in the arts.
Excellence in Philanthropy: a person or organization who has given philanthropic support to the arts and cultural community.
Corporate Support of the Arts: a corporation who has given philanthropic support to the arts and cultural community.
Excellence in the Arts: a person or organization who has had a significant impact within the arts and cultural community through a dedication to achieving high artistic quality.
Art Educator of the Year: a full time teacher or administrator who had made a significant impact as an arts educator.
- Full-time teacher or administrator
- present or past teaching in K-12 (any level)
- teaching in a public, private or parochial school in the St. Louis metropolitan area (Missouri or Illinois)
- minimum of 5 years full-time teaching experience
- offering education within theater, dance, music, or visual arts
- membership in a national professional organization of his/her field (Music Educators National Conference, the National Arts Education Association, etc.)
Arts Innovator: a person or organization who has made an impact on the arts community in a creative or innovative way.
Arts Collaboration: a person or organization who has supported the arts and made an impact in the arts and cultural community.
Champion for the Arts: a person or organization who has impacted the arts community by bringing organizations or people in the arts together.
Emerging Artist of the Year: a person at the early stage of their artistic career who has garnered early critical acclaim but is not yet considered to be an established artist by the community-at-large or has broad name or work recognition at the time on nomination. Age is not a factor in determining an artist's qualification for this award category.
Arts Startup of the Year: an arts organization created within the past 2 years that has displayed growth with innovative programming that has the potential to become an established art organization.
Student Artist of the Year: a person 18 or under who has demonstrated exceptional talent and accomplishment in any art medium. The student may be nominated by a parent, guardian, school teacher, principal or by instructor working with the student at an arts organization. Letters of support and examples demonstrating the students’ talent (photos of artwork, videos of performances, writing samples, etc) should accompany the nomination.
National Artist of the Year: a person with strong ties to the St. Louis bi-state region who has achieved national prominence in their artistic field. Ties to St. Louis are defined as:
- Born in the region, or
- Moved to the region as a child and spent a majority of their young adult life here, or
- A national artist who currently calls the metropolitan region their primary home
Other: nominators may enter an award category not listed above.