stARTup-StL Crowdfunding, the Arts and Education Council's (A&E) crowdfunding platform, is designed to connect donors with arts and arts education projects within the Greater St. Louis region. The platform is ideal for smaller organizations looking for funding, promotional help and an easy-to-use online giving tool. Learn more about how the platform functions below.
How does it work?
Organizations located in the Greater St. Louis area are eligible to post projects in need of funding. Individuals visit the site and make donations directed to projects about which they are passionate. The donations are made to A&E, which is a 501(c)(3) organization. At the close of a campaign, A&E provides the designated funds and donor contact information to the organization that posted the project.
Who can post a project?
To be eligible to post a project, you must be:
- a 501(c)(3) organization, school art program, individual with a business license as an artist or startup with a 501(c)(3) fiscal sponsor
- Located within the Greater St. Louis area: Missouri counties: Jefferson, Franklin, Lincoln, St. Louis City and County, St. Charles, Warren and Washington; Illinois counties: Bond, Calhoun, Clinton, Jersey, Macoupin, Madison, Monroe and St. Clair
Does my project qualify for matching funds?
The Arthur & Helen Baer Charitable Foundation has generously offered to match up to $40,000 for eligible stARTup-StL Crowdfunding projects (up to $5,000 per project). To qualify, campaigns must:
- last no more than 30 days with specific start and end dates;
- raise funds for arts education projects;
- identify specific fundraising and marketing strategies in support of raising the necessary donations to secure the match; and
- demonstrate an existing base of support with the potential to fulfill the match.
Preference will be given to organizations with an annual operating budget of $500,000 or less. Campaigns for capital projects are not eligible for matching funds. To be eligible, all funds raised for the project must be raised through the stARTup-StL Crowdfunding platform.
What happens if a project isn't fully funded by the end of its posting period?
All donations are made directly to the Arts and Education Council (A&E) through this online crowdfunding platform. A&E will direct the donor's gift to his or her chosen organization and project, even if the project is only partially funded when it expires. In such a case, the project organization will contact all donors to inform them about how the project might change as a result of receiving less funding than requested.
Are gifts tax deductible?
Yes. As a project of the Arts and Education Council, a 501(c)(3) organization, your donation is fully tax-deductible. Because the donor benefits are required not to have tax implications, you can deduct your full donation on your taxes.
How do I know the project I give to will use my funds appropriately?
All projects posted on the site are by organizations who have been approved by A&E. A&E reviews each campaign’s qualifications to ensure the quality of the organizations submitting projects. In addition, the project organization will send follow up information detailing the execution and results of the project to show how your funds were used.